Posted by Blessing on / 0 Comments
Over 100 shops have been destroyed and properties worth millions of naira lost as fire guts Sabo Market in Sagamu Ogun state.The fire which was reported to have stared the early hours of Tuesday destroyed goods valuables worth millions of naira.
According to reports the fire started at about 1am on Tuesday from the cloth sellers section after which it spread to other parts of the market.
The fire was said to have been caused by a power upsurge that occurred when electricity was restored by the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company around 1am.
A s shop owners, who identified himself as the Chairman of Table Water and Beverages Producers Association of Nigeria, Remo zone, Adetola Soyemi, told newsmen that over 100 shops were razed.Soyemi who narrated the cause of the inferno said It was the electricity they restored that led to a spark around 1am, and if not for the men of the fire service, it would have spread to all the sections of the market.”
Soyemi further revealed that, “Cloth sellers, yam flour sellers, grains sellers, herbs sellers, kola nut sellers, padlocks shops and building materials sections were affected.”