Posted by Blessing on / 0 Comments
Nigeria Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, has said that no Nigerian was arrested in the course of the evacuation of those, who voluntarily wish to leave South Africa following the recent xenophobic attacks.
Adama explained that no returnee was detained or refused to board the flight on Wednesday by South African Authorities.
He said, though some had immigration problems, they were quickly fixed.
The consul general added that what happened was that many of the returnees missed the flights because of their uncoordinated attitudes.
He said the delay in the evacuation process was caused by misplacement of travel documents as required by South Africa immigration laws.
“Some will still tell you that they put their documents inside bags that had been checked into the plane; some even said that they had theirs stolen and all that. Then others have issues of expired passports,’’ he said.
Adama said the evacuation process was difficult, adding that the second batch flight had to be rescheduled to enable those who had issues with their documents resolve it.